Sunday, May 23, 2010

Trash Humpin', Reality TV and Video Art...Oh My




So hi y'all, it has been a purty eventful week I have to say. To re-cap, I filmed an Off-Broadway show by a wonderful man from London and went out dancing with him and his friends, and when he sent me my check, he also included a picture of me dancing that I didn't know he snapped, pretty great. Working on his DVD now. Then I took a top secret test (don't worry nothing shameful or bad), and after I was famished and craving a falafel which in turn brought me to Mamoun's for the first time, 2.50 falafel and a place to sit down, can't beat that with a stick. I wandered around the west village for a bit and then I decided to go see the infamous "Trash Humpers" alone nonetheless. I have always been fairly judgmental about Harmony's work and truth be told I don't really like it but I still enjoy watching it if that makes any sense. This movie didn't stray too far from how I usually view his work, however I did have a really good time and it was far more humorous than I expected. The combination of snapping self-portraits of myself on the downstairs bench with onlookers, my pineapple that I snuck in from Whole Foods and a packed theatre with an audience that seemed to all have a collective sense of humor for the film, the actuality of the externally superfluous experience during the film surpassed what the film itself lacked. It was obvious that Harmony must have had a blast making this film and that also made it worth while, but it also got me to thinking that once you get an "in" so to say with other films you have made, that in turn gives you some leeway to kind of make something just for the Hell of it and still get it into theatres. If you have a certain type of sense of humor and you are familiar with Harmony's work than I suggest you see it by some means, might be a good movie for a party atmosphere. One last note about the movie; it also reminded me of my friend Joey's work, but not as mature and sophisticated. Joey should definitely make a feature because it would fix a lot of the problems that this film had. It would be more creative technically, and it would be more disturbing with a subliminal humor that would shine through the cracks to create a aesthetically prosthetic balance between the elements coexisting in the film, looking forward to his feature.

In other news I worked on a reality TV pilot for VH1 thanks to my friend Sarah. It was an interesting group of people and best off all I got to drive a pimped out new Chevy Tahoe all day, while picking up a great camera man and blastin' Def Leppard on the LIE. Last but not at all least folks, I went to the Video Art. Net festival at Tribeca, it was interesting if anything and had a strange panel of speakers after. One of the speakers was an old professor who kept randomly talking about how he just got back from a writing commune where he wrote 12 hours a day, and said that he thought festivals were stupid, yet we were all at one, and later said that he just came from one at Anthology. I wonder how many Quaalude's this guy pops and I wonder if he wrote 12 hours straight a day or took breaks...hmmm.

To bring this ship into the dock I will end by saying I went to Lombardi's pizza for the first time and learned about the history of pizza which was very tasty interesting information, in addition to this highly enjoyable experience I was also told how to properly fold my pizza for consumption, something that I apparently did not know how to do because when told to do it, I begun to fold it the wrong way. Love to learn new things, keepem' comin'...this was your captain Shelly Sarah speakin', please enjoy the rest of your ride, it may be a bumpy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment